Updated: Oct 10
Baby Loss Awareness Week, October 9th - 15th 2023 is a time for bereaved parents and families from all over the world to commemorate the lives of their babies and share the memories of their angels that were taken too soon. This week allows baby loss communities to come together to raise awareness, provide support, and remember.
Understanding Baby Loss
Baby loss is an incredibly sensitive and often misunderstood topic. At the Lily Mae Foundation we support all bereaved parents throughout their journeys of baby loss whether you have suffered Miscarriage/s, Stillbirth, Neonatal Death or Medical Termination, we are here to support you.
Baby loss is a pain that transcends all boundaries and Baby Loss Awareness Week aims to shed light on the physical, emotional, and psychological toll that baby loss can have on parents, families, and friends.
Commemoration and Remembrance
During Baby Loss Awareness Week, remembrance events take place across the country. These events provide a space for families to remember their babies and celebrate their lives, no matter how brief. From candlelight vigils to memorial walks, these gatherings help families find solace in the company of others who have walked a similar path. At the Lily Mae Foundation we hold our own services:
Our Wave of Light Service takes place on Sunday 15th October.
Please arrive from 6.30pm to be seated by 6.45pm. Candles lit at 7pm.
📍 Location: St Mary’s Church, Fen End Road, Temple Balsall, B93 0AL
We will have marshals to direct you to car parking. The car parks are a 5 minute walk to the Church.
🕯️ At our Wave of Light Service:
During the service you can place either a pink or blue ribbon and tie it to our tree of remembrance.
🧑🎨 Decorate a pebble in memory of your baby:
Through-out the whole of October you can visit St. Mary's Church where there is the opportunity to decorate a pebble that can be placed at the base of the tree in memory of your baby. The pebbles are provided by The Lily Mae Foundation along with pens to decorate them.
We look forward to welcoming you to St. Mary's Church for our Wave of Light Service.
There are numerous ways to participate in Baby Loss Awareness Week and show your support for the Lily Mae Foundation
1. Wear a Ribbon: The pink and blue ribbon is the symbol of Baby Loss Awareness Week. Wearing one shows solidarity with those who have experienced baby loss. You can purchase one from our store: https://www.lilymaefoundation.org/shop
2. Attend an Event: As we previously mentioned we have our own local event taking part during Baby Loss Awareness week. However, don't worry if you are not local to us. Wave of Light services take part across the entire country during this time.
3. Donate: Consider making a donation to the Lily Mae Foundation during BLAW. With the support we gain, we are able to continue offering the much needed support to bereaved parents following the loss of a baby.
4. Share Stories: If you or someone you know has been impacted by baby loss, sharing your story can provide comfort and encouragement to others. Social media platforms offer a powerful way to raise awareness. Why not check out our #StillDads blog, where bereaved fathers have shared their stories of grief and journeys of baby loss: https://www.stillparentspodcast.co.uk/stilldads-blog OR IG: @stillparentspodcast
5. Fundraise: Some families /parents like to honour their baby’s memory during BLAW through fundraising activities. Check out our fundraising page for some ideas. Even download our fundraising kit to get you started! https://www.lilymaefoundation.org/fundraise-for-us
Supporting Those in Need
Baby Loss Awareness Week is a time to stand together, to remember, and to provide solace to those who have experienced the unbelievable pain of losing a baby. At the Lily Mae Foundation we will always offer an undevoted dedication to supporting bereaved parents and families through the devastating loss of a baby to Stillbirth, Neonatal Death, Miscarriage and Medical Termination.
Click here to explore our variety of support services. We are here for you x